August 28, 2009

So much fun . . . so broke

It really sucks when you are very broke and trying to be a blushing bride-to-be. I am so excited and even very optimistic about my abilities to stretch a dollar and be creative. My expectations of my wedding are very high because I am focusing on the love, the attention, my family and other non-monetary wonderful things. But cash-requiring items keep popping up. While I look at photographers and wonder how I might afford a deposit on one I know we need to start looking at venues too. Then today a friend recommended a class that teaches you how to do all your invites, programs and stationary yourself- brilliant .. but $35??? Then of course there is a baby shower this weekend. There is nothing funner than baby gift shopping! And I am overdue one one wedding gift, and have my brother's wedding next month! Oh boy and I excited for that too!!!! There is no such thing as too much good stuff,right?

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I honestly think you are creative enough and have friends that are creative enough to create your wedding invites and stationary yourself! You don't need no stinkin' class to show you! Save the $35! :)

Sophia said...

Damn, Michelle beat me to it.

I bet you can do invitations, decorations, etc. on your own. You have some creative, helpful friends, too...

Jen Huff said...

Sophia and Michelle are totally right, you definitely don't need a class to tell you how to make your own stuff. Besides your own creative self and friends there are SO MANY online resources to give you ideas. But here's the thing about making invites and stuff yourself. Don't do it to save money, do it because you want to do it. There are plenty of affordable, nice looking invites/programs/menu cards/etc out there. Besides traditional stationers Etsy is a great source. Doing them yourself doesn't make them free. You still have to pay for all the paper, ink, envelopes, etc, and it can take FOREVER! I did all that stuff myself and if I hadn't enjoyed it, I would have wanted to kill myself. There were days when I did despite enjoying it. It's a big commitment. I definitely don't mean to discourage you, and I wouldn't change how I did it, I just want to give you a heads up. I would definitely be happy to help however I can, too!

Angie said...

Hey Jess-- Do consider using me and Zak as great resources and spare hands. We did our invites for about $400 total for 130 invites. Zak did all the print and set up for our invites. I did most of the pasting, cutting, and such. So excited for you two!